In CHIME’s recent Opioid Action Center podcast, I speak with Dr. Sarah Porter, who is the senior medical director of family practice at Southern Ohio Medical Center (Portsmouth, OH). We discuss the stigma associated with opioid addiction — cited in Combating the Stigma of Addiction: The Need for a Comprehensive Health System Approach — and how we can improve in this area.
After Dreamland: A True Tale of America's Epidemic, Sam Quinones's bestseller about the opioid crisis and its impact on her community, Dr. Porter took a closer look at how she and her peers were managing opioid addiction among their patients. Through her research and application, she learned how organizations can offer support to patients with substance use disorder.
Topics covered in this podcast include:
- 4:43 - Portsmouth, the epicenter of the opioid crisis
- 8:45 - Prescribing practices and bias
- 17:32 - Stigma’s impact on treatment
- 19:25 - Changing prescriber bias
- 29:52 - Informed consent contracts
- 32:38 - Technology’s role in supporting patients and providers
Learn how MEDITECH Expanse’s integrated toolkits provide workflow and system guidance for opioid stewardship and other high-priority conditions.